The Parador Argomaniz is located 12 km from Vitoria/Gasteiz – approximately midway between Bilbao and Pamplona. This noble stone building was formerly the Larrea palace – whose family coat-of-arms is emblazoned prominently above the main entrance door. It is a rare find – a perfectly preserved 17th century palace with a somewhat plain exterior – its interior is a delight. The Parador Argomaniz entrance is framed by majestic stone columns. This leads you to an interior that is decorated with various Renaissance ornaments. The bedrooms contain antique wooden chests and furniture and fine polished wooden floors.
Check Rates & Availability
- Area Info
All the public rooms are tastefully done. There are many cozy "sitting nooks" with nice views out to the countryside. Perfect places for sitting with a good book and a cup of coffee. This is a splendid Renaissance palace in all respects and the perfect place to stop if you are traveling through this part of Spain.
An interesting historical note – and one you can contemplate during your stay: Napoleon stayed here for a time while he regained his strength before attacking the town of Vitoria.
The Parador Argomaniz dominates the surrounding natural beauty of the Plains of Álava, the Gorbea mountain range and the Ullibarri Gamboa reservoir.
Interesting nearby excursions from Parador of Argomaniz:
– Be sure and wander around the small, pleasant village of Argómaniz.
– As well the Parador Argomaniz is ideal for walks and drives out into the beautiful natural spaces that surround it.
Interesting day trips from the Argomaniz Parador include:
– Vitoria/Gasteiz (12 km). Santa María Cathedral, Museums .
– El Gorbea Ullibarri and Urrunaga, Salvaterra
reservoirs (12 km), Gaceo (8 km) and Añara (8 km).
– Rioja wine country near Alavesa is a great day trip for wine tasting and vineyard visits (about 40 km.).
– Garaco Nature Reserve (5 km)
Interesting festivals during the year:
– White Virgin festivals 4 August, Vitoria/Gasteiz, 12 km.
– Semana Grande 15 Agust, Bilbao/Bilbo, 70 km.
– Semana Grande 8 August, San Sebastián/Donostia, 100 km.
– San Fermine (the famous "running of the bulls") 7 July, Pamplona/Iruña, 85 km. *Note – lodging is impossible to obtain in Pamplona at this time. The Parador at Argomaniz is a great possibility for securing a room during the festival – still be prepared to book far ahead.
The map directly below shows the important sites in Vitoria Gasteiz . . .
The Parador Argomaniz, is a bit out-of-the-way for most, and for this reason provides a special experience to those travelers savvy enough to make their way here. This is a wonderful natural area, and to be able to stay in a Renaissance palace where Napoleon once stayed . . . well, not
many can boast of that!
Facilities at Parador Argomaniz hotel:
53 Twin bedrooms – Bar – Restaurant – Telephone – Heating – Satellite television – Air conditioning in dining rooms – Safe – Mini bar – Shop – Elevators – Car park – Conference room – Currency exchange – Golf (12 kms) –
Garden – Children’s play area – Facilities for disabled
Your dream of Spain can be a reality!
* Visit our hotel pages * Parador Hotels
click through to home page: Spain Paradors
(Argomaniz Parador hotel information provided by SpainParador.com)